The 2nd Annual M.S. Pumpkin Derby is set for
Saturday, Nov. 1, 2014 at Louisville Slugger Field!
And Online Registration is Available Through 10/31/14.
Don't let making a racer "scare" you. It's easy.
Please visit our new YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/mspumpkinderby
for a step-by-step guide to building a racer.
This is a "gravity race". You just put wheels on a pumpkin, you place it on a ramp, our ramp has a release gate, and gravity does the rest. You don't hold it, push it, run with it, catch it, etc. You just make it in advance (per the rules) and then watch it race down our really cool ramp. It's that easy. Oh, you can decorate it of course.
Having fun with WDRB's Keith Kaiser
What is a Pumpkin Derby?
The M.S. Pumpkin Derby is a family friendly event at Louisville Slugger Field to help raise awareness about the disease Multiple Sclerosis. The highlight of the event is the Pumpkin Derby, a unique side-by-side race featuring handcrafted, decorated pumpkin racers in a fun battle for the coveted M.S. Pumpkin Derby Grand Championship Trophy in each of the four divisions.
But wait, there's more. There is a pumpkin decorating contest called the Showcase of Pumpkins (for racers and non-racers). We will have prizes in lots of categories including: Most Creative, Best Sports Theme, Best Racecar, Cutest, Coolest, Best Cartoon Design and Best Carved Pumpkin. Entrance into the Showcase of Pumpkins competition is FREE to all so recycle those Halloween jack-o-lanterns (please no rotting ones) and come down and join us.
There is no entry fee to attend the event if you aren't racing, but activities/games in the Kids' Fun Zone do require a $5 wristband to participate. They include crafts, face painting, pumpkin bowling, Plinko and other fun, family-friendly activities. A single $5 wristband will give you access to one turn at all of the Fun Zone activities and all games have prizes with a winner every time.
Check out our wristband deal at http://local.amazon.com/louisville - you can buy groups of 4 and 8 wristbands at HALF PRICE!!! Just bring your voucher with you to the event to redeem it for the wristbands.
And while you enjoy your day at the world famous Louisville Slugger Field we hope that you will learn a little more about Multiple Sclerosis through interactive MS symptom simulation games, an art exhibit, and at the MS Awareness Village with vendors from the medical, pharmaceutical, housing and services industries to give you a look into the support and products available to patients with MS. So be sure to check it out, because we bet you will be surprised by what you learn!
Registration and Fee Clarification:
Registration and Fee Clarification:
1. You must pre-register online before October 17, 2014 if you want to enter a pumpkin racer into one of the 4 derby divisions. This allows us time to prepare your pit pass, packet, and mail you a kit.
2. You arrive to the event on November 1st with your pumpkin racer ALREADY made. We will not have a place for you to make it on site.
3. This year there is only one type of registration, which includes the racer kit, but not a t-shirt. Please note - you supply your own pumpkin.
4. Be sure to pick your Derby division carefully based on age, pumpkin size and number of team members. Check out the “Rules” tab on this website for all of the rules and regulations as well as some tips.
5. If you just want to enter a non-racing decorated pumpkin into the Showcase of Pumpkins (this is not the race, it is just the decorated pumpkin contest) you do NOT need to register. You just bring your already decorated, non-rotting pumpkin to the event and enter it for FREE! Please note - this year you must select the specific category you want your pumpkin to be judged in, so decorate it based on the categories listed on the Showcase tab.
6. If you want to attend the M.S. Pumpkin Derby but do not want to race you do not need to register for anything. There is NO entry fee into the building. The only fees are for the $5 wristband if you want to join in the Fun Zone Activities and the derby racer entry fee. Concessions will be for sale at the ballpark.